English 中文 Français Deutsch Italiano 日本語 Português Русский Español|
CONTACT (USA) 435 658 2227 Email International phone numbers
COVID-19 (Coronavirus) – Please Read The Precautions We Are Taking
Tour scheduled to run on blue dates.
Yellowstone winter tour: 36 hours
| ||This tour is designed to really maximize your time in Yellowstone. You can depart Salt Lake as late as 10.30 pm, and still be on tour in Yellowstone the next morning!|
Although the final shuttle departs Salt Lake at 10.30 pm, we suggest we book you a flight which gets into Salt Lake by about 5 pm, otherwise you will not get much sleep on the first night! Shuttle departure times are:
10 am, 12 pm, 1.30 pm, 3 pm, 4.30 pm, 6 pm, 8.30 pm, 10.30 pm.
The shuttle travel time is about 4.5 hours.
| ||If you think Yellowstone during the summers is magical, come and check it out in the winter! It is awesome and unlike any experience you have ever had! Most people think that Yellowstone is shut down in the winter. It isn't. But it is deserted. Instead of there being tens of thousands of people in the park, there are only a few hundred! You just about have Yellowstone to yourself.|
During the winter months the vast majority of Yellowstone is closed to cars and buses. We will have you gliding over the snow in your choice of a snowcoach or snowmobile! It is so hard to describe the thrill of snowcoaching through the crown jewel of America’s National Park system. If you prefer to snowmobile, it’s just you and the elements. With nothing in-between, you are exposed to endless vistas of the most incredible beauty. Whatever you choose, you will get up close and personal with sights you could only have imagined!
And what a unique experience it is, with the landscape being painted white, as far as the eye can see. But don't worry. You'll be nice and warm as you enjoy sights that only a tiny number of people get to see in their lifetimes.
Day 1 - Salt Lake City to Rexburg - 239 mi / 384.55 km - About 4 hours, 30 minutes
|You will take a shuttle through northern Utah and into Idaho, before being dropped off at your motel in Rexburg, where you will spend the night. There are stops at several towns along the way. The vehicle is generally a mini bus. Breakfast tomorrow morning is included in the tour price.|
Please note that today is an unescorted part of the tour. What this means is that although you obviously have a bus driver with you at all times, there is no tour guide providing a running commentary the way there is when you are in Yellowstone.
Day 2 - Rexburg to West Yellowstone - 83 mi / 133.55 km - About 1 hours, 40 minutes
|Departing Rexburg, you will travel through rural Idaho, before ascending into the Targhee National Forest. After climbing up over the Continental Divide and into Montana, you will make the short drive to West Yellowstone.|
Day 2 - Over the snow to Old Faithful! - About 6 hours, 30 minutes
|Today you'll be doing something very few people get to do - travel over the snow to Old Faithful, the world's most famous geyser. You'll also see many other geysers, some amazing scenery, as well as wildlife.|
|Please remember that a trip by snowcoach is included in the price of this tour. If you would prefer to, you can ride a snowmobile instead. There is an additional charge for this, which can be seen elsewhere on this page. You can have either one or two people on a sled, as the locals call a snowmobile, and can select whichever option you prefer on checkout. |
If you travel by snowcoach your driver/guide will pick you up, and take you into the park for your tour. If you ride a snowmobile yourself, you will first be kitted out with special clothing, and then be shown how to control your sled. You will also have park etiquette and regulations explained to you. The snowmobile tour is also led by a guide, who will show you where to go, and tell you all about what you are seeing.
|West Yellowstone is located right at Yellowstone’s entrance, and in no time you’ll be riding across the snow into the park. You can expect to see endless stunning scenery, wildlife, plus, of course, geysers and other thermal features.|
|Once in the park, we’ll follow the Madison River east, stopping whenever we see anything of interest, and there will be a lot of interest! At Madison Junction we’ll turn right, or south, and start making our way towards the geyser basins. Where you stop will depend on your guide, but options include the Lower Geyser Basin, which is home to Fountain Paint Pot, the Midway Geyser Basin, Black Sand Basin, and Biscuit Basin, before reaching the highlight of the trip, Old Faithful. As mentioned before, you can buy some lunch here, and watch Old Faithful. Alternatively, buy something in West Yellowstone and take it into the park with you.|
Day 2 - West Yellowstone to Salt Lake City, overnighting in Rexburg - 321 mi / 516.49 km - About 14 hours, 30 minutes
|The shuttle back to Salt Lake City departs at about 6 p.m. this evening. You will drive through Montana, before crossing into Idaho, and spending the night in a small town called Rexburg. The hotel is included in the tour price.|
Tomorrow morning, you can depart from Rexburg at various times, to return to Salt Lake. Please note that this is an unescorted part of the tour. What this means is that although you obviously have a bus driver with you at all times, there is no tour guide providing a running commentary the way there was when you were in Yellowstone.
|The shuttle to Salt Lake this morning makes several stops along the way. You can choose from several departure times from Rexburg. The shuttle will pick you up at your hotel, and drop you off at the Salt Lake City airport, or at a central downtown location opposite Temple Square, where the tour ends.|
Depart 2.05 a.m. Arrive 6.40 a.m.
Depart 3.35 a.m. Arrive 8.10 a.m. (Not available on Sundays)
Depart 5.05 a.m. Arrive 9.40 a.m.
Depart 6.35 a.m. Arrive 11.10 a.m.
Depart 8.05 a.m. Arrive 12.40 p.m.
Depart 9.35 a.m. Arrive 2.10 p.m.
Please note in the comments section which one you want.
| ||Please be aware that the entrance fee to Yellowstone is excluded on this tour, and needs to be paid on arrival. As of mid 2020, the entry fee was $25 per person, but is subject to change without notice by the National Park Service.|
| ||If you are thinking of taking a winter Yellowstone tour, please be aware that tours for the period around Christmas and New Year sell out months ahead of time!|
|Available Options ||Old Faithful snowmobile option - 1 person on sled: +$225|
Old Faithful snowmobile option - 2 on same sled: +$275
|Tour ID ||1429|
Please note the following...
- The days and dates this tour runs can be seen in the calendar at the top right of this page.
- Between the dates of December 26th and January 2nd inclusive, there is a surcharge of $65 for each snowmobile trip.
- The entrance fee to Yellowstone is excluded and needs to be paid on arrival.
- All times are approximate. We are not responsible for the consequences of any delays, and this itinerary may change without notice.
- Two nights' lodging are included at the Americinn in Rexburg.
- The price includes a day of snowcoaching inside Yellowstone. You can pay a surcharge and take a snowmobile instead. There are no taxes.
- Two hotel breakfasts are the only meals include.
- The shuttles depart Salt Lake on the first day at the times detailed above. You can select the time you want to return to Salt Lake on the last morning.
- The tour both starts and ends at the Salt Lake City airport and a central downtown location.
- Portions of this tour are subcontracted to other reputable vendors.
- After ordering this tour please wait to receive a confirmation email from us before making any plans that are dependent on this tour.
- It will be cold on this tour, and may be very, very cold. Please bring appropriate clothing. It is important to dress in layers. That way you can remove a layer when hot, or put one on if you get cold. We suggest a selection of the following:
- Thermal underwear for both top and bottom; a pair of waterproof boots, with ankle supports, into which you can tuck your trousers; gloves; a beanie; appropriate pants and shirts; and a ski type jacket. A useful tip is to carry a spare pair of socks with you, in case the ones you are wearing become wet.
- If you decide to ride a sled, special snowmobiling clothing is included in the tour price.
- There are rare times when the authorities close the roads because of high winds and/or a lot of snow. We cannot be held responsible for the consequences of delays or cancellations caused by this, mechanical failure, acts of God, or other matters beyond our control. If it becomes necessary to cancel part of a tour all that we will refund is the cost of that part that is missed.
- Payment And Cancellation Details: CANCELLATIONS WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED FOR THIS TOUR. Changes will also not be accepted, and refunds will not be given. Please consider purchasing trip insurance as our cancellation policy is strictly enforced. The payment schedule is as follows: Half of the total will be charged any time from when you make the booking. The other half will be charged 30 or fewer days from the tour date, at our discretion.
This tour can be ordered online here. Please call us at 1 800 724 7767 or (USA) 435 658 2227, or mail us for additional information.