English 中文 Français Deutsch Italiano 日本語 Português Русский Español|
CONTACT Toll free 1 800 724 7767 (USA) 435 658 2227 Email International phone numbers
Yellowstone Lower Loop Tour
Tour scheduled to run on all dates this month.
Day 1 - Yellowstone lower loop tour - About 8 hours
|The roads running through Yellowstone make up a massive figure of eight. The lower loop of the figure of eight comprises most of the thermal features that are to be seen in Yellowstone, including, of course, Old Faithful!|
From West Yellowstone we'll follow the Madison River to Madison Junction, where we'll turn right, or south. Depending on the time of the year, this area is often teeming with wildlife. With any luck you will see bison, elk, Trumpeter Swans and other animals and birds. A special treat in the spring is the baby bison calves.
|At Madison Junction we will turn right, or south, and follow the Firehole River which runs through the thermal areas of Yellowstone northward. The Firehole is famous amongst anglers for its pristine beauty and selection of brown, brook and rainbow trout. |
The first main thermal area we will be visiting is the Lower Geyser Basin, and Fountain Paint Pots. There is a boardwalk system running around and through the Fountain Paint Pots area, and it is a great place to go for a stroll, if the bison haven't got there first! Apart from the paint pots, there is also a selection of other thermal features in the area, including a number of geysers, one or other of which almost always seems to be erupting.
| ||The next stop is the Midway Geyser Basin, home to Grand Prismatic Spring - one of the largest anywhere in the world - as well as Excelsior Geyser, now dormant, but discharging thousands of gallons of water every minute.|
|The road from Old Faithful passes over the Continental Divide twice, on its way to West Thumb, a geyser basin right on the shores of the incredibly blue Yellowstone Lake.|
|Yellowstone Lake is off to the east as we make the trip up to Fishing Bridge. From there we head through the Hayden Valley, following the Yellowstone River, up to Grand Canyon of the Yellowstone. On the way we will pass Mud Volcano.|
The Hayden Valley is known for its wildlife, particularly large herds of bison at certain times of the year. It is also an excellent location to look for grizzly bears, especially in the spring and early summer when they may be preying on newborn bison and elk cubs.
| ||The Grand Canyon of the Yellowstone is an unexpected treat amongst the thermal wonders. The Yellowstone River has carved an impressive canyon through the rocks, over which two falls drop. The Lower Falls is over twice the size of Niagara Falls! It is in this area that you can catch a glimpse of the yellowish tinge to the rocks, from which the Yellowstone River got its name, but at a different location. We'll check out the canyon and falls from a number of different locations. You get so close to the Upper Falls that you almost feel like you can reach out and touch the thundering water. Don't!|
| ||It is now time to go back to West Yellowstone.|
|Tour ID ||1171|
Please note the following...
- The dates this tour runs can be seen in the calendar at the top right of this page.
- This tour includes lunch. Please let us know if you do not want lunch, and you will be refunded $10. Lunch includes a freshly made sandwich with your choice of meats, a bottle of water, cookie, fruit and a bag of chips. There are places on the route where you can buy food if you do not want the lunch.
- Park entry is not included. If you have already paid for the park entry on one of our other Yellowstone tours, you do not need to pay it again. The pass is good for unlimited entries over a seven day period.
- Pick ups take place at all in-town West Yellowstone properties, starting at about 8.15 a.m.
- You will get back at about 4.30 p.m. All times are approximate and we are not responsible for the consequences of a late arrival back into West Yellowstone.
- Portions of this tour may, at our discretion, be sub contracted to other reputable vendors.
- Payment and cancellation policy: Your credit card will be charged within 14 days of travel. You may cancel this tour any time up until 14 days prior to travel for a full refund. After that time cancellations will not be accepted and you will be charged in full. Our cancellation policy is strictly enforced and we strongly suggest you consider purchasing trip insurance.
This tour can be ordered online here. Please call us at 1 800 724 7767 or (USA) 435 658 2227, or mail us for additional information.