English 中文 Français Deutsch Italiano 日本語 Português Русский Español|
CONTACT Toll free 1 800 724 7767 (USA) 435 658 2227 Email International phone numbers
Yellowstone winter tour: 60 hours
Tour scheduled to run on blue dates.
| ||This tour is designed to really maximize your time in Yellowstone. Unlike our 72 hour Yellowstone tour, you can arrive at the Salt Lake City airport after 10 a.m., and still leave on your tour the same day you arrive. You will still see all of Yellowstone!|
On this 60 hour Yellowstone tour you can be back in Salt Lake, from Yellowstone, only 60 hours from the time you left! In other words, you can leave Salt Lake as late as 10.30 p.m. on the first night. The second and third days are spent touring the entire park, and on the third evening you start making you way back to Salt Lake, an hour or so after you get out of the park. You will spend the third night in a motel in Idaho, and then have the opportunity to get back to Salt Lake as early as 6.40 a.m. on the fourth morning.
Although the last shuttle departs Salt Lake at 10 p.m., we suggest you arrive by 5 p.m., otherwise you will not get much sleep on the first night! Shuttle departure times after 10 a.m. are:
12 p.m. 1.30 p.m. 3 p.m. 4.30 p.m. 6 p.m. 8.30 p.m. 10.30 p.m.
Travel time is about 4.5 hours.
Please note your flight arrival time in the comments section, when you check out.
| ||Yellowstone in the winter is simply magical. The park is closed to all cars, buses and motor bikes, and you travel over the snow instead! It is so hard to describe the thrill of snowcoaching through the crown jewel of America’s National Park system. If you prefer to snowmobile, it’s just you and the elements. With nothing in-between, you are exposed to endless vistas of the most incredible beauty. Whatever you choose, you will get up close and personal with sights you could only have imagined!|
Day 1 - Salt Lake City to Rexburg - 239 mi / 384.55 km - About 4 hours, 30 minutes
|You will take a shuttle through northern Utah and into Idaho, before being dropped off at your motel in Rexburg, where you will spend the night. There are stops at several towns along the way. The vehicle is generally a mini bus. Breakfast tomorrow morning is included in the tour price.|
Please note that today is an unescorted part of the tour. What this means is that although you obviously have a bus driver with you at all times, there is no tour guide providing a running commentary the way there is when you are in Yellowstone.
Day 2 - Rexburg to West Yellowstone - 81 mi / 130.33 km - About 1.5 hours
|You will be picked up from your hotel shortly after 6 a.m., and travel through rural Idaho, before ascending into the Targhee National Forest. After climbing up over the Continental Divide and into Montana, you will make the short drive to West Yellowstone, arriving a little before 8 a.m.|
Day 2 - Over the snow to Old Faithful! - About 6 hours, 30 minutes
|Today you'll be doing something very few people get to do - travel over the snow to Old Faithful, the world's most famous geyser. You'll also see many other geysers, some amazing scenery, as well as wildlife.|
|Please remember that a trip by snowcoach is included in the price of this tour. If you would prefer to, you can ride a snowmobile instead. There is an additional charge for this, which can be seen elsewhere on this page. You can have either one or two people on a sled, as the locals call a snowmobile, and can select whichever option you prefer on checkout. |
If you travel by snowcoach your driver/guide will pick you up, and take you into the park for your tour. If you ride a snowmobile yourself, you will first be kitted out with special clothing, and then be shown how to control your sled. You will also have park etiquette and regulations explained to you. The snowmobile tour is also led by a guide, who will show you where to go, and tell you all about what you are seeing.
|West Yellowstone is located right at Yellowstone’s entrance, and in no time you’ll be riding across the snow into the park. You can expect to see endless stunning scenery, wildlife, plus, of course, geysers and other thermal features.|
|Once in the park, we’ll follow the Madison River east, stopping whenever we see anything of interest, and there will be a lot of interest! At Madison Junction we’ll turn right, or south, and start making our way towards the geyser basins. Where you stop will depend on your guide, but options include the Lower Geyser Basin, which is home to Fountain Paint Pot, the Midway Geyser Basin, Black Sand Basin, and Biscuit Basin, before reaching the highlight of the trip, Old Faithful. As mentioned before, you can buy some lunch here, and watch Old Faithful. Alternatively, buy something in West Yellowstone and take it into the park with you.|
Day 3 - Grand Canyon of the Yellowstone - About 6 hours, 30 minutes
| ||Today we’re traveling by snowcoach to the Grand Canyon of the Yellowstone, which is an amazing canyon that the Yellowstone River has cut through the rocks. Just as you did yesterday, you are welcome to go by snowmobile instead. Please choose that option when you check out. Whatever you decide on, you will once again have a guide with you.|
|We’ll once again follow the Madison River into the park, but this time we’ll head north, or left, at Madison Junction. The Gibbon River will be alongside us, and you can once again expect to see wildlife, beautiful scenery and thermal features on the way.|
| ||Amongst the many highlights will be stops at both Gibbon Fall and Beryl Hot Spring, before reaching Grand Canyon of the Yellowstone, which will take your breath away. Because there is nowhere to buy food along the way, we provide a sack lunch today. Please remember to take it with you.|
Day 3 - Snowmobiling outside the park
| ||There is the option of spending an extra day in West Yellowstone, to take a snowmobile on your own, outside the park. You will be able to ride your sled over your choice of hundreds of miles of trails through the forests and up and down the mountains of the area. This is really exhilarating fun! |
Please order this option when you check out. It includes an extra night's stay and the use of a snowmobile. Note that you will not have a guide with you unless you want to pay extra for one.
Day 3 - West Yellowstone to Salt Lake City, overnighting in Rexburg - 321 mi / 516.49 km
|The shuttle back to Salt Lake City departs at about 6 p.m. this evening. You will drive through Montana, before crossing into Idaho, and spending the night in a small town called Rexburg. The hotel is included in the tour price.|
Tomorrow morning, you can depart from Rexburg to return to Salt Lake at various times. Please note that this is an unescorted part of the tour. What this means is that although you obviously have a bus driver with you at all times, there is no tour guide providing a running commentary the way there was when you were in Yellowstone.
|The shuttle to Salt Lake this morning makes several stops along the way. You can choose from several departure times from Rexburg. The shuttle will pick you up at your hotel, and drop you off at the Salt Lake City airport, or at a central downtown location, opposite Temple Square.|
Depart 2.05 a.m. Arrive 6.40 a.m.
Depart 3.35 a.m. Arrive 8.10 a.m. (Not available on Sundays)
Depart 5.05 a.m. Arrive 9.40 a.m.
Depart 6.35 a.m. Arrive 11.10 a.m.
Depart 8.05 a.m. Arrive 12.40 p.m.
Depart 9.35 a.m. Arrive 2.10 p.m.
Please note in the comments section which one you want.
|Available Options ||Old Faithful snowmobile option - 1 person on sled: +$225.00|
Old Faithful snowmobile option - 2 on same sled: +$275.00
Grand Canyon of the Yellowstone snowmobile - 1 person on sled: +$225.00
Grand Canyon of the Yellowstone snowmobile - 2 on same sled: +$275.00
Extra day free snowmobiling - one person on sled. Includes extra night lodging: +$350.00
Extra day free snowmobiling - two people on sled. Includes extra night lodging: +$395.00
|Tour ID ||1348|
Please note the following...
- The days and dates this tour runs can be seen in the calendar at the top right of this page.
- Between the dates of December 26th and January 2nd inclusive, there is a surcharge of $65 for each snowmobile trip.
- The entry fee to Yellowstone is included.
- All times are approximate. We are not responsible for the consequences of any delays, and this itinerary may change without notice.
- Two nights' accommodation are included at a self catering studio at Yellowstone Self Catering Lodging in West Yellowstone. If that is sold out, you will stay at a minimum two star hotel. One night's lodging is included at the Americinn in Rexburg.
- The price includes two days of snowcoaching inside Yellowstone. You can pay a surcharge and take a snowmobile instead. There are no taxes.
- One sack lunch and one hotel breakfast are the only meals included, but there will be bacon, eggs, bread, etc, in your studio, so you can make yourself breakfast when you are in West Yellowstone. If you stay in a hotel instead, it will be one that includes breakfast.
- The shuttle departs Salt Lake at 10 a.m. on the first day. You can select the time you want to return to Salt Lake on the last morning.
- The tour both starts and ends at the Salt Lake City airport and a central downtown location.
- Portions of this tour are sub-contracted to other reputable vendors.
- After ordering this tour please wait to receive a confirmation email from us before making any plans that are dependent on this tour.
- It will be cold on this tour, and may be very, very cold. Please bring appropriate clothing. It is important to dress in layers. That way you can remove a layer when hot, or put one on if you get cold. We suggest a selection of the following:
- Thermal underwear for both top and bottom; a pair of waterproof boots, with ankle supports, into which you can tuck your trousers; gloves; a beanie; appropriate pants and shirts; and a ski type jacket. A useful tip is to carry a spare pair of socks with you, in case the ones you are wearing become wet.
- If you decide to ride a sled, special snowmobiling clothing is included in the tour price.
- There are rare times when the authorities close the roads because of high winds and/or a lot of snow. We cannot be held responsible for the consequences of delays or cancellations caused by this, mechanical failure, acts of God, or other matters beyond our control. If it becomes necessary to cancel part of a tour all that we will refund is the cost of that part that is missed.
- Payment And Cancellation Details: You have a 24 hour window to change your mind at no charge. After that, no cancellations or changes will be accepted! No refunds will be given. Please consider purchasing trip insurance as our cancellation policy is strictly enforced. 35% of the cost of the tour will be charged to your card any time from 24 hours after you make the booking. 35% of the cost of the tour will be charged to your card any time from 45 days prior to the start of the tour, and the balance of 30% will be charged any time from 10 days prior to the start of the tour.
This tour can be ordered online here. Please call us at 1 800 724 7767 or (USA) 435 658 2227, or mail us for additional information.